On a more personal note - as you may or may not know, I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Music. My principle instrument is voice, with my secondary instrument being piano. I am not, nor do I ever desire to be, a professional musician. I am not the greatest singer or piano player, but I can hold my own. I also don't get up in front of millions and showoff my styles with the National Anthem as my platform! However, I do feel that I am educated enough to tell you that this style of singing...this 'urban yodeling'. Is not singing!!! It's just people trying to showoff.
- I cannot keep silent any longer. After last night's Super Bowl opening, the time has come.
- On my endless list of "Things that Get Under My Skin", I am sooo fed up with artists who continue to disgrace our National Anthem by embellishing Francis Scott Key's famous composition. It is not "Whoooaaaaohhhh whoooaayyy sayyyy cannuh yewwwwuh seeeee...." or "Aaayyynnnduh the rawwwwkkkkkkkkkketsuh redddddduh gaaaaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.", all the while singing every note on every scale from hades to the stratosphere. No one cares.
- It is not my intention to discredit the talent of several artists who have performed one of (if not thee) the most famous songs in our country. That is not what I'm saying. Aaron Neville, Aretha Franklin, Beyonce, Faith Hill, Cher, Whitney, Harry Connick, Jr., Garth Brooks - and all the others - all great artists. All talented. All respectable. But last night? The Neville/Franklin duo? COME ON!!!! Poor Dr. John (from Dr. Hook fame). How can one properly accompany these shenanigans on a piano, when no real melody is being used?
- Our National Anthem is a sacred song - one that represents who we are, what we stand for, and why we are free today. It is NOT (and I repeat NOT) an AUDITION or a chance to show the world just how good your pipes are. It is not a jazz scat. Know you're role and realize your boundaries, people. That's all I'm sayin'.
- I haven't seen too many openings, but I've seen enough. In my opinion, the last Super Bowl (XXXIX), without a doubt, was done in the manner with which the song has earned. The combined choirs of the Air Force Academy Cadet Chorale, U.S. Coast Guard Academy Glee Club, U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club and U.S. Military Academy at West Point Glee Club. THIS is what it's supposed to sound like.
And I'm not calling it urban yodeling - I totally stole the moniker from Hannity & Colmes.
Hey, if the microphone fits....
Toma's Favorite Song Today: The Star-Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key
Oh, and days like today...when I'm wound up beyond belief, someone needs to put me on a plane to here; where all I hear is the roaring sounds of the ocean and Ivan saying, "Toma? What'll it be?"
Oh, and that's totally me in the photo. Except I normally wear a thong....it was at the drycleaner that day....