Still a faithful 'Cane, giving thanks and the boots at my door...

Hello hello helloooooooooooooooooooooo! I know, it's been nothing but crickets 'round these parts lately. I also know that LJ doesn't like the infrequent 'epic' blog entries - but that's all I can offer right now....love me or leave me. I'm having some computer agita, so that's been challenge #1. Bear with me, and I'll do my best, mmkay?

So, about a month ago I went back to Miami for homecoming. If anyone is informed in
NCAA football, it has not been a year for our Hurricanes. Despite our loss to Va Tech (at home - in the Orange Bowl, I might add), I am still fighting and full of pride for my Mighty Miami Hurricanes. Yes, it's been a tough season - but it's my belief that teams face these challenges every few years so they can learn, grow and come back stronger than ever. In the words of Vince Lombardi, "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." If you are interested, Omar Kelly writes a heckuva Hurricanes blog, and is quite an engaging writer. Check him out.

For me, the real reason I go home for games is to get that quality time with Mom and Simmer. They are season ticket holders, and not only do they tailgate - they INVENTED the tailgate. Just to bring you in the loop on how these people do it - we got to Miami at noon.









The game was at 8pm.

Any questions?















Did you enjoy your Thanksgiving? Casa de Toma was full of people, food, and laughs! I wish you could have joined us! I was fortunate to have Dad and Kathy here from South Carolina - they flew into Orange County, picked up Sebby and Kayla, and we did Thanksgiving at Tante's! My best friend in Monterey, Michele, and I tag-team cooked. Had a total of 15 people! Some highlights...

Kayla CHEATING at Go Fish with Pop Pop and Gammy:


Surprise visit from Matt Simpson - old buddy of mine from Garmisch...who now lives in San Francisco:

Decorating the tree on Saturday with Kayla:



Downtown Monterey - for the tree lighting:

Kayla and I Sebby and I
The holidays are upon us - more on that later. But one quick note: I am taking the time, specifically, to say "Merry Christmas".

On purpose.

I am not saying "Happy Holidays." Randy Travis sings, "He had the birthday, we got the gift." Celebrate His birth! Cherish this time with you and yours. I'm working on my holiday newsletter now....

Between now and December 22nd, my good friend* JP, is staying with me. He had a gap in between when he had to be out of his house and his next move, so he moved into Camp Toma for a few weeks. JP's next assignment is the beautiful
Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Poor, poor JP.

As some of you know, I spent four years of my life...four very important years...in Garmisch. JP moved in yesterday, and one of the first things he did was put his boots at my front door. You think, sure, who doesn't put their shoes near the front door? Everyone does it, right?

Well, I don't know what it means, but I've been in and out of tears since he moved in.

I think a big part of me wishes I was going with him - I'm jealous! And not in a "It should be me and not him" kinda way. But in the that-place-was-such-a-significant-part-of-my-life-and-it's-my-home kinda way.

The boots remind me of my Dad - and how his boots were always at the front door on the weekends he had Army duty.

Also tagging along at my heartstrings?



Fine!!! I'll say it!!!!


There's a man in my house....................








And his boots are at my door.




*Yes, I said friend. No subtext. Really.